Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work. - Mark Twain

The thunder is cracking outside, and I can hear the rain against the building in waves. It must be a symptom of sea-side towns; every evening so far I have caught the glimpse of lightning snaking across the sky; it is only today that the thunder takes hold and shakes the town beneath its thick blanket of clouds.

We're on Day Three now, it's taken this long to get the internet working and the room to comfortable set up. Queen Arachnia , as she prefers her pseudonym to be during the course of this blog, managed to lose her keys in her classroom yesterday, causing a rash of panic and tears as we tore around the hotel trying to find any sign of them. They have yet to turn up so I am holding out hope they were turned in to one of the offices in the area.

We are less than a mile from the beach, which is wonderful in theory, but as of the last three days has proven no use to us in practice. I suspect this rain may keep up all day, proving it unlikely that any beach time will be procured. How strange it is, that one can vacation to places like beach fronts, and be so filled with excitement to explore that world that is unfamiliar and exotic; yet, when one is confronted with the realization that life as one knows it is changed, and life shall be lived in normalcy alongside such exotic pleasures, all of the sudden such adventures can be taken for granted. I'm willing to be it will be the 4th of July before we made it to the beach.

I have finished chapter one of the novel and a page or so into chapter two. Slow progress but improving, at least as of yesterday, though today might kill my stride as it is already 9am and I've yet to write a word beyond this blog. I'm allowing a week for my adjustment period, before I put my nose to the grindstone and expect solid work for at least 8 hours a day. But at least so far I'm writing, though I am sure the argument can be most of it is useless and will not make it to the final edit, anyway.

I have access to the internet and I am hoping to make part of my writing day an update of this blog... perhaps it will help me keep on my writing tasks, too, without much distraction by energy sucking breaks like television.

Now I must go google "Houston Space Center layout" and see what is offered.

No comments: