Monday, November 10, 2008

"Say your goodbyes if you've got someone you can say goodbye to." - Matchbox 20, "How Far We've Come"

I think there is an end in sight!

It's actually a bit strange, really... I wrote an event today in the novel that has been in my mind since I wrote the short story when I was 14.

It is really appropriate, I think, that ten years later I would be seeing it come to some kind of advanced completion. I can tell you how many times I've written this story: three times in high school, twice in college, and now once for real, and numerous times only in my head.

It's changed, yes, but in it's heart, it remains the story I always envisioned it to be. Hopefully it will, after revision, be as good as I want it to be too, and the story will serve the characters, and be testaments to the lives they've lived in so many multiple forms through my life.

What's more, in a few short days, I will no longer be "writing" a novel. Before June, I was thrilled with being able to no longer having to be one of the millions of people who say, "I want to write a novel." Instead, "I am writing a novel." Soon, I will no longer have to say, "I am writing a novel." I will get to be one of the few to say, "I have written a novel." And perhaps, "I have published a novel," or "I am a novelist."

But see, now I am ahead of myself. So I will go back to reiterating my joy of seeing an end in sight, and knowing that, perhaps, all the hours spent creating this world will one day pay off. I'm lucky in this has been the year I have got to do two of the things I have always dreamed of doing; making a movie and writing a novel. How can 2009 compare? I guess we'll see.

On the other hand, I don't know if my novel is quite agreeing with the word count of 75,000 words, it will be done when it's done; and if I am a real writer, that will probably be never, even if it ever gets published. But I'll keep it as a generalized goal, and we'll see what happens during the long editing process ahead of me.

'Zokutou'Zokutou
61,214 / 75,000
(81.6%)

No comments: